Top Ten Tips for Parents
*Screen Time includes TV, computer, DVDs, Videos and Video Games, etc.
1. KNOW WHEN IT’S TOO EARLY: Less than 2 YEARS; Screen time is not recommended before 2 years of age
2. KNOW WHEN IT’S TOO MUCH: Greater than 2 HOURS; Understand the full range of media in your child’s life and limit non-school related screen time to under 2 hours per day
3. SEPARATE VIEWING FROM CHEWING: Don’t eat in front of the TV or other screen media; make meal time…family time
4. MONITOR CONTENT: Content matters—know what your child is watching; look for quality educational programs
5. KEEP SCREENS OUT OF THE BEDROOM: Keep them in a place where you can monitor time and content
6. PROMOTE MINDFUL VIEWING: Eliminate background tv; be selective about viewing; avoid channel surfing
7. WATCH WITH YOUR CHILD: Monitor your child’s reactions and be prepared to answer your child’s questions about programming; avoid using TV as a babysitter
8. AGREE AS A FAMILY ABOUT SCREEN TIME: Discuss and agree on limits: “this is what we do in our house”
9. PROMOTE LESS SCREENTIME…MORE GREEN TIME: Get outside and play!
10. BE A ROLE MODEL: Limit your own screen time viewing; watch less than 2 hours per day; be mindful when you watch…and turn it off when no one is actually watching!